21 May 2010

Finisterre - Muxia (EN)

On my second last day I decided to do a good-bye walk and go from Fisterra to Muxia, another 30 km.
Good decision :) The route was lovely i thought, most of the way went on earth paths, under the shade of trees. It was good though that i had a guide for this part (http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_Spain_23.html#camfin) because there were many alternative routes and the guide could help me in the decision - i usually went for the route that was close to beaches or the shorter way.
There was a part where I had to cross a river: the tricky part is that the stepping stones are mostly underwater! I couldn't imagine how you do this in cold and windy and rainy weather because the stream was strong enough and some of the stones were fairly deep and a person shorter than me could have trouble with the distance between the stones (walking sticks or sticks from the woods were the solution to 2 people i talked to). As it was for me, on a sunny day and on my goodbye (last full) day, it was one of the best parts of the Camino. Cold water for the feet, a shortcut and the adventure - what more could i ask for :)
Later, closer to Muxia i somehow got to a beach - not sure how because i had to step over barbed wire and jump over a little river so it was definitely not the Camino. Now this was such a beautiful present from the Camino, i could hardly believe it: the beach shaped like a half moon, white sand, cold and clear ocean and undisturbed sunshine. And me alone. On the other end of the beach there was a girl with her dog and another one was jogging on the beach but that was it. The place was all mine in that hour :) I used it so, went for a swim and enjoyed all: the sunshine, the water, the air. Then another shortcut, i climbed over the rocks by the sea to cut through to the Camino and 15 minutes later i was in Muxia.

It's a small port town on a peninsula facing North - the good thing in that is that on one side of the town you can see the sunrise and on the other side you can see the sunset :) I climbed up to a cross on a hill then walked down to the sanctuary of Nosa Senora. Then i went down close to the water and lay down on a big rock; i can understand lizards now better than ever: lying on a warm rock on a sunny day with a strong and cool breeze is brilliant indeed.
Walked down to the rock shaped like a boat on which the Virgin Mary arrived to encourage James in his preaching, lay my hands and forehead on the stone and wished a good one :)

In case you are going to do the Camino: apart from the Compostela you can get in Santiago, there is a certificate in Finisterre and one in Muxia, which you can receive if you arrived on foot to these towns.

After the day in Muxia I got on the morning bus (hello sunrise) and went to Santiago. The bus trip was a horror. My brain couldn't process what my eyes could see, everything passed by way too quickly. I couldn't have a good look at the trees, the houses, the people, it turned my stomach. It seems 5 weeks was enough for my brain to adjust to the 4-5 km/h i was doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment